Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mammoth Getaway...

WARNING: UNUSUALLY LONG POST FOR LYNSEY,
BUT IT'S A GOOD STORY


This past weekend we went to Mammoth with Ryan, Beth, Brandon, Lisa and the kids, Sara, Jake and the kids, and Meredith and Andrew. We had such a great time minus the cold, sleepless nights with a baby that only wanted to eat every half hour and a nighttime visit from a bear, other than that it was great!!! No really we had a lot of fun and lots of stories to blog about. While we were there the camp hosts told us that the bears are out in full swing trying to store up fat for the winter so we needed to be extra careful for bears and keep all our food locked up. So we did. We were very cautious and did not want to come in contact with any bears. Everything was fine until the last night. All was quiet at our camp until around 2:00 AM I am suddenly woken up to clawing, scratching and banging on our bear box. I definitely knew it was a bear. Meanwhile Chris wakes up and we are both thinking the same thing, "A bear is 10 feet from our tent. And he is hungry." At this same time, my finally peacefully sleeping child (because I got smart and put a beanie on him to bed this time)wakes up and begins to cry. As fast as I can, I begin to feed him, but I am so worried that the bear will decide that breast milk smells pretty good too. My head and heart are going a mile a minute. After about 4 minutes of banging on our bear box, he gets it open. Instead of getting upset about the mess we will be left, I am thankful he gets what he wants. Andrew and Brandon get out of the tent and scare the bear away (Brandon will have a different story for you). Thankfully the bear only grabbed one bag of food and ran behind a rock to eat it. Our bear encounter was not as fun as everyone else thought, but I'm glad it ended the way it did. And come to find out the next morning around the campfire, someone (no names mentioned) thought it would be funny to leave some food out for the bear. They are lucky I didn't turn "Momma Bear" on them myself!!! Also Meredith and Andrew were woken up to the bear first sniffing around Andrew's head, I would have died! Anyway, I didn't get any pictures of bears, I think Ryan and Beth got some of the Momma and baby cub we saw the next morning check out their blog (sorry Beth you gotta post it now). Of course I did get some of my little happy campers though.



Beautiful Kate loved to play in the dirt!

Daddy's little fishing buddy!

Kate and Ellie learned about bear safety, aren't they darling!

Enjoying our morning campfire

My two favorite boys, don't they look like twins here?

5 comments:

Robertsons said...

Wow...that is a good story!!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Chris and Zach at the bottom is so adorable! You should blow it up and frame it!! I'm glad you guys are still alive!

heather said...

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! My family usually goes camping to Yosemite every year and there are ALWAYS bear stories. Once, late at night, we were all sitting around the campfire and a BIG bear came right up over my mom's shoulder to get a drink of her hot chocolate!... I'm glad you guys are okay!

Darrick said...

Hey Lynsey do you still have that picture of Zack by himself unedited. if you do send it to me

Brandon and Lisa Bird said...

Lynsey- I am so glad we went but I was ready to leave. Now, it makes for a great story though. You guys planned a really fun camping trip. Thanks for inviting us! Ellie loves Zach and keeps talking about him.