Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wes Nathan Bird

People always love to decide who the new baby looks like: mom, dad, and older siblings... So I wanted to post some newborn pictures of Zach and Wes and let you decide for yourself. We still are having a hard time deciding. Wes definitely has his own look, but reminds me of Zach in many ways; just a lot smaller. He is only one week old and has changed so much. I'm trying to savor these early days that breeze by so fast!

Zach

Zach
Wes
Wes
Wes

_____________________________________________________________________--
So here is the fun labor story...

Wednesday night I went out with some friends for a much needed "girls night out". We went to the Spectrum and got pedicures and ate to our hearts' content at Ruby's. After contemplating a movie we decided it was a little too late for that; thank goodness because that is when the fun began. On my way home I had two contractions- nothing too bad, but enough to make me nervous driving. When I got home I told Chris I was feeling weird Brackston Hicks. I jokingly said we could have this baby tomorrow. We went to bed and they kept on coming. This was all new to me because I was induced with Zach, so I didn't know if this was the real thing. At 2:00 when they weren't stopping I got up and looked on the internet to see what the real signs of labor were: getting closer together and increasing in intensity-Yep I realized I was in labor. I asked my peacefully sleeping husband to barrow his iphone so I could time them. Starting at 4:00 I timed them for 45 minutes and they were exactly 6 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds. To ease my pain with each contraction, I massaged Chris' shoulders-I swear they have it so good.
I didn't know how long I was to wait but after they were 5 minutes apart I couldn't take it any more. I called my doctor and she said to get there right away. I really wanted to shower before though-bad idea! As soon as I got in the shower they went into turbo mode. I could barely move. I managed to get out after throwing up and called my mom to get over fast. As soon as she arrived we rushed out the door. And just like in the movies, Chris raced to the hospital ran up to the front desk, said, "my wife's in labor we need a wheelchair" He rushed me upstairs and I told them to call the anesthesiologist pronto. After 45 minutes of "you know what", I was finally in heaven! Thank goodness for epidurals! We arrived at 6:15, at 7:15 I was at a 7, and at 8:30 they called the doctor. Wes was born at 9:16. I pushed for one hour with Zach and 10 minutes with Wes. Recovery has been night and day! Wes is such a sweet baby, even though he is still in the baby coma-sleep, eat, poop, he seems to be much more mellow.
Wes was 11 days early and we couldn't imagine one more day without him!

7 comments:

The Shaws said...

Wow! It was fun reading that story...glad everything worked out. I think Wes looks a lot like the pics of Zach. I think Zach looks like you, so I guess Wes must also.

Shannon said...

That is such a fun story. It sounds really really eerily similar to my experience with Weston. He was 10 days early. I had no idea if I was in labor or not. I timed contractions. Packed my bag. Threw up. Went to the hospital. Only had to push for about 10 minutes. So worth it, right?

He is a very handsome newborn. I think they definitely look like brothers, but Wes's bottom lip seems fuller or maybe just not tucked under? :) Either way they are both so cute. I hope you are feeling good and recovering quickly. I love newborn coma stage. It's the best.

Shawna said...

Such a sweet ending to your story. Thankfully the good Lord helps us forget our labors very quickly so that we're eager to bring new little blessings into this world. Wes looks A LOT like Zach. He is going to be a beautiful boy:)

Monica said...

Thanks for sharing! He is such a handsome little boy! That is crazy that he came so fast! I hope this time around is faster for me too! And AMEN for epidurals! I don't know how these women do it without them! :)

Robertsons said...

Congrats on the newest little Bird. Can't wait till I can meet him. Wish your family the best. Steve

heather said...

when wendy came 10 days early, i was SO unprepared. we had to run around the house getting anything we might POSSIBLY need. so i know how you feel about having so many things you want to do (like take a shower) that you just don't get to finish before the baby comes.

ps. he doesn't look as much like zach as i originally thought he did. i think he looks like chris. he's such a cutie!

jenn (+ will) said...

love your story! i love that you rub your husband's shoulders when you're in labor. i'll have to remember that trick. haha. miss you lyns!