Thursday, February 25, 2010

My precious little angel...

For so long, Zach could do no wrong! In his mommy's eyes he was "perfect"! Insert new baby brother and things begin to change. The day after his second birthday things began to go very wrong. I never believed in the terrible two's. I always thought it was just something people would say if their kid was out of control. Now I'm being to realize that they are very real. And I am sorry to all those parents I never believed.

These pictures capture a daily occurrence at the Bird house. These seemingly sweet pictures are the making of a little stinker at work. You can see the progression in these photos... Starting out with the innocent sly smile, then a side glance at Wes and he finally moves in for the "kiss" which was followed by a smack to Wes' head when mommy was trying to get him from giving too rough a kiss.


This new side glance means watch out!!!

I am at a loss of what to do...We have tried time outs or giving the attention to the baby when he does that. Nothing is really working. Does it get better with time or is this here to stay? I can not leave them alone for even a second. I feel so bad for both of them. Poor Zach has had is world flipped upside down and Wes really doesn't know what hit him!

Any advice for this mother who is at her wits end?

6 comments:

The Vinsons said...

oh my...Lynsey, I know EXACTLY how you feel. The good news is that it will definitely get better with Zach, the bad news is that when it does, it will be Wes' turn to be going thru it! haha We use timeouts, sometimes they work and sometimes I feel like I've done nothing all day except put him in timeout! Also another thing that works for us (because Blake has a 'toy throwing/hitting' problem) is putting the toys in time out too. This one really gets to him. Give it 6 months and it will be better! I know too well your exact feelings since my guys are the same exact age difference as yours, call me anytime you need to vent! xoxoxo

Shannon said...

It's so hard for the previous only child to adjust to a sibling. Weston was quite the brat after I had Davin. Lucky for me he seemed to direct his aggression at me rather than the baby. Time out's are good. My other suggestion is to start taking away favorite toys (make sure to put it somewhere he can see, but not play with it). You just have to be consistent.

Make sure to take plenty of time to show Zach that you both love baby brother. Maybe plan a fun Zach and mommy outing when dad is home too. He'll adjust, but it sure is frustrating when they morph from your sweet kid into a little monster. Hang in there!!!

The Birds said...

Who knew Zach had a little sneaky side....I wish I had any words of wisdom to pass along but I'm kind of lacking in this department.....Good luck your an awesome mom and I think Zach will snap out of it eventurally. (Just wait until Wes gets bigger and can defend himself, then it should be really interesting.)

heather said...

this is exactly what i'm scared of when it comes to having another one. i liked shannon's advice of making time for one on one dates with zach. you'll have to let me know how it goes. hang in there!

Darrick said...

I love this post. I am assuming this is equivalent to Ava's fish lips, that she makes whenever she is going in for the kill. I'm afraid to tell you that at 3 1/2 it's better but still there. I am totally with you on judging the job of other parents. Ava does things that remind me of that daily!

Monica said...

Oh gosh...i can hardly wait!! haha! Thanks for gathering all the good tips for us! Good luck...I'll be right there with you in about a month! :)