Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What was I thinking?

 This is what started it all... Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
I just had to post this while I was still laughing about it.  I had this brilliant idea to make some homemade soups for my boy(s) -(Wes will probably be the only one who eats it, but we always try with Zach).  They both have little colds and homemade chicken soup just sounded good. So off the the store we went with shopping list in hand.  The recipe called for a whole chicken-that you are to use to make a homemade stock.  I have never done that before, but I'd always wanted to; and I've heard it is really easy.  So I got the chicken and everything else and started cooking. It was 4:00 and I thought for sure, I'll be done by 5:30 or 6:00 at the very latest in order to have it for dinner.  I opened up the chicken to throw it in the pot and realized that I had to remove all the skin, fat, innards, gizzards and whatever else you call them and chop off the neck! Well, having never done that before I was a little slow and grossed out.  About 45 minutes later the chicken was ready.  I throw it in the pot along with the other ingredients and let it simmer for one hour.  Now it is almost 6  and my boys were obviously hungry, so I made something else for them to eat while it was simmering.  I continued to follow all the directions and managed to get my boys in bed while the soup waited for my return. I still had to puree some of it, (which I didn't realize until I got to that point). And that was the fun part. Transferring the hot soup and vegetables to the processor made a complete mess. I looked down at the floor and there was a pool of chicken stock all over. Needless to say, I was so tired and a complete mess. Finally at 8:30 I was able to sit down and have a bowl of soup. I started laughing to myself and thought what if this is awful. Thankfully it was really good! Not 4 hours good, but good. I know Wes will love it!  One good thing became of all this my kitchen floor got a good cleaning!
*I think I used every dish, pot, pan, knife, spoon, bowl, blender, processor or utensil I have in my small kitchen. I cleaned my floor and counters, but was way too tired and hungry to clean the dishes. I should have taken a picture of my swollen feet.
Go here in case you want to make this yourself! Ha, ha!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Love this post. At least you were able to laugh...and now you check off making chicken stock on your list of things-you-want-to-learn-how to-do. Good job!!!

J, J and B said...

I can't believe that. I would have stopped when I read that you needed to cut the head off and do all of that extra stuff! You were determined!

Lynsey said...

I had just bought the wrong one, so that was my fault!